Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thanksgiving

and other German (or not) happenings
All the Germans on post are very kind.  Every last one wished us a happy Thanksgiving last week even though it’s not something they celebrate.  My favorite was the man I spoke to to come fix our dryer!  He said “haf a heppy… uhhhh… tanksgiffing? Ja.”  Loved it!  That’s why I think every German person who says their English is not so good, or they only speak a little bit, is full of it!  Try hearing my German!  I’m still trying to master “may I have” cause it’s full of all these forward facing vowels… ARG!”
We had a surprisingly good Thanksgiving this year.  Of course we missed our family and friends but we were able to Skype and call home which made the evening very nice.  I made my first turkey ever!  I can’t believe I made it to 30 without ever cooking a turkey!  It was a little salty from the brine but the single and not-so-single soldiers we invited over said it was fine.  We started our meal by going around the table and saying what we were thankful for.  As much as we missed everyone back home, it was nice to have company to distract us from the longing, and I think everyone felt the same way.  We all reminisced about Thanksgivings back home and our family traditions, as we played card games and drank beer and gluhwein.
Thanksgiving
The Mittwoch (Wednesday) before Thanksgiving, the on-post flag football game occurred!  It’s an annual tradition here at Rose Barracks and Cody got to play.  I went and watched the first game but when you are not walking or moving, just sitting in the cold sucks!  So I went home and got some lunch ready for Cody and I.  That is one of the nicest things about living on-post; Cody get’s to come home for meals because the breaks between PT and work are long and lunch is usually an hour and a half!
Thanksgiving flag football
I’ve spent this week in my Welcome to Bavaria tour which has been super fun and very informational!  As far as fitting in with the other Army Wives… well I’m a little odd-man-out.  There were nine of us and everyone paired up; the two Latinas, the two thin gorgeous women who’s husbands were in the same unit, the two black ladies, and the two youngest ladies who happen to be neighbors.  That left me, and as far as the Army Wives go, I suppose I’m a little odd anyway; I’m brand spankin’ new to the Army, which means everyone thinks I’m 19 or 20.  When they hear I’m 30 they are shocked. (who the eff cares right?  That means I actually LOOK 20!)  They all think E5 and below soldiers are young, irresponsible, ass holes, and they constantly verbalize that thought.  (again, who cares?  I know my man aint like that) Lastly, I’m pretty sure they all think I’m a kiss-ass, but really I’m just taking advantage of opportunities to practice and learn German (and lastly; I don’t give a shit)  Nonetheless they were all very nice ladies, with lots of helpful advice to a new Army Wife, and I enjoyed spending time with them.  Besides, once you get past the complaining that I suppose is inevitable in this lifestyle, deep down we are all sisters.  This is the only family you have sometimes, and you have to be able to lean and learn from each other.
Vilseck Church
Monday was spent in the classroom learning about German culture and little bits of language.  Tuesday a driver took us around and we  saw on-post Vilseck and on-post Grafenwoehr, which is a larger Army base only 20 min away.  Everything on Graf is better; the gym is bigger and nicer, along with the commissary and the PX.  Luckily there is a shuttle that runs between us and Graf so we can get there easily any time we’d like.  Yesterday the driver took us off-post Vilseck and off-post Graf.  We shopped at local butchers and visited bakeries.  My favorite by far was the little church in Vilseck!  It looked so humble and tiny from out side and it’s steeple rises high above all the other buildings (as it does in every little Bavarian town) but inside is much more ornate and beautiful than I had ever expected!  Today we were supposed to go to Amberg which is a small city about 30 min away, but it got canceled by the most wonderful thing; SNOW!!! 
SNOW!
Yes, today was my first snow in seven years!  It’s light and fluffy and blanketing my yard.  The flakes are floating down, fat and fast.  Snow was forecasted so when Cody woke up I asked him if it had begun to snow, when he said no, I rolled over and went straight back to sleep.  By the time I woke up a couple hours later, everything was nicely frosted with white, and it has been coming down off and on all morning.  Needless to say I bundled my self up and went to class as usual, but when I got there they told me it was canceled… I was the only one who didn’t get called, but no matter!  I enjoyed the walk and learning that my snow boots are in fact waterproof, warm, lightweight AND cute as hell! 
Because the forecast predicts the snow to continue through tomorrow, I am heading out to the commissary in a few to get some groceries.  This weekends plans include a train ride to Nuremberg to visit the Christkindlesmarkt (Christmas Market) with our friends the McKenzie’s!  It is the largest in Germany and the most well known around the world.  We are also going to buy a few Christmas decorations to liven up our empty little house.  I’m VERY excited for this weekend and I’m sure that will be the bulk of my blog next week!  So until then, Tschüss!

3 comments:

  1. Love you guys! Great Blog Sarah, keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish i could be there to see the catholic churches, i know the are impressive! love your blog Sarita! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete