Monday, December 10, 2012

Let it Snow!

something something something dark side
It has been snowing steadily all day, It’s at least three inches deep right outside the back door.  I really want to go sledding and make snow angels and have a snowball fight… not a snowball fight with Cody though, he plays for keeps.  Instead, I’ve been unpacking our unaccompanied baggage shipment that arrived today.
I’ve put our linens on our bed and I CANNOT wait to sleep in our soft sheets with our down comforter!  I’ve hooked up the TV for Cody, so he doesn't have to worry about that when he gets home, I already asked him to put our bikes together.  I’m a little upset that they took them apart somewhere in transit.  They wrapped them up whole at the apartment back in Jax, but they arrived this morning with the wheels and pedals taken off.  Lucky for us it’s not hard to put back together.  So now I’m almost done with the kitchen and I thought I’d curl up with some hot cocoa, watch the snow fall and tell you all about last weekend.
bed and TV
We went to our first Christmas market!  We went to the big one in Nuremberg; it’s one of the largest and oldest in Germany.  I learned Chicago has a Christmas market that is modeled after the christkindlesmarkt in Nuremberg.  What I found really interesting is that every year the Christmas angel opens the market with grand festivities and music.  Being “crowned” the Christmas angel is very prestigious and includes a two year term.  Every two years any local girl between the ages of 16 and 18 can apply.  Her picture and bio is voted on by the residents and then the finalists are interviewed by a panel of judges.  The winner is chosen based on her knowledge of and involvement in the city.  How cool is that?  It reminds me of a pageant.  We did not get to see her, but I enjoyed the market all the same.  It was wonderful in fact!
candied nuts, Nuremberg, Christmas Market stalls, Gluhwein
We walked up and down all the aisles and looked at every stall.  I couldn't tell you how much gluhwein drank… it was a lot.  But for each cup you drink you pay a deposit.  Then the cup is yours to keep as a souvenir OR you can turn it back in and get your deposit back.  We got two cute little cups!  My favorite is the little red boot; it has the Christmas angel and the big church that that market is in front of  I was slightly disappointed that the blue one is from last year… I forgot to check the date even though I was warned, but oh well, it’s still pretty.
boot cup, das boot, keepsake
We also ate delicious Nuremberg bratwurst and these SUPER yummy steak sandwiches.  I finally found the little marzipan potatoes that I’ve been looking for since I got here!  I snatched those up, but they didn’t last long… I can’t even blame that on Cody ‘cause he doesn't like marzipan.  I got a cute red fleece lined beanie to keep my noggin warm in all this snow.  My Wal-Mart beanie just wasn't doing the job right.  My favorite find was a BEAUTIFUL table square.  It has red and ecru crochet lace work around the edge and in the center with poinsettias and holly embroidered on each panel.
pretty embroidered table square
We went with our friends Damon and Jess and their kids who are a joy to be around.  Without a doubt the best thing about moving to Germany has been them.  They have helped us so much since before we even arrived.  I felt like Jess was a friend before I even met her face to face.  She gave me heaps of advice and helped me prepare via Facebook, where we first met.  Her and Damon let Cody stay with them when he arrived since the barracks were full.  Wonderful people with big hearts!
thefunpeople
We looked inside the big church that was at the head of the Christmas market.  It was beautiful, but surprised me in it’s stark décor.  I suppose after being surprised by the little church in Vilseck, I should stop judging a book by it’s cover.  I really loved the huge advent wreath they had suspended from the ceiling of the church.  It’s size alone was impressive!
Nurembergchurch
Later in the afternoon, a couple of Cody’s friends from his unit met us up at the market.  We had dinner at a bratwurst haus and then enjoyed the market some more.  There is a large golden tower lit up with lights with a fence around it.  There is a little ring around the fence and it is lucky and traditional to turn the ring three times and make a wish.  I wonder what everyone wished for… I hope mine comes true soon.  It was lovely and beautifully romantic.  I can’t wait to go to another one.  I’ve heard good things about the market in Regensberg.
Other than that not much else had happened.  I painted the front room a sunny yellow, which we are going to make into an office/craft room.  Super excited about that!  Excuse the mess in the picture, it’s all the packing paper from the shipment this morning.  I’m dreaming more and more about how I want to decorate and I’d better narrow it down, because this weekend we are going to get paint for the living room.  Maybe I can talk Cody into getting some for the bedroom too. 
DSCN1527
Hopefully I’ll have some pictures of that next blog. Until then, Tschüss!

1 comment:

  1. Am so happy you are adapting easy and loving it! I love the church OMG magnificent!!!!!!!!
    I can't wait for that "wish to come true"
    The color looks great! what other colors do have in mind! sometimes the base give you paint for free find out!

    ReplyDelete