Thursday, November 15, 2012

Jet lag is a bitch

and other sleepy ramblings
So here I am in Deutschland FINALLY!  It was like the dam that was holding in all my emotion broke when I saw Cody!  I caught a glimpse of him as he ran around the bus that had just dropped us off and my eyes instantly welled with tears!
Here, finally is the person I know and love and count on and who's shoulder I can cry on.  The person who is strong for me when I cannot be, and I had stayed strong for so long I just lost it.  It was every emotion for the past month topped by tears of joy at finally seeing my husband.  And damn did it feel good to finally cry, a real, hardy, pitiful woman cry!
Germany is lovely.  Driving from Rammstein to Vilseck I was grateful to catch some of the colors of autumn before winter becomes full blown. I am awake from jet lag and it is 3:30 am here and 0C (32F) so winter is certainly on it’s way.  I glad I packed a bunch of sweaters, but what seemed like a ridiculous amount of sweaters in Florida hardly seams adequate here in Germany. I wish I had brought more long sleeved t shirts for layering… but now I have an excuse to go out and shop in some German clothing stores.
Yesterday Cody and I walked around post.  He showed me where the commissary, PX and shoppette were.  We ate donersDSCN1265 for lunch and drank gluhwein later that evening while we watched movies on the computer. Gluhwein is a hot mulled wine that is popular around the holidays. It literally means “Glow wine”  because it makes you glow with warmth from within. RSCN1272 For warmth from without, we have radiators to heat the house which are controlled by housing.  We can adjust the temperature once they are turned on but housing decides when they are on.  I’m not sure if it’s on a schedule or at a certain temperature that they are turned on at, either way, I’m cozy right now.
This weekend we are traveling to Munich by train.  We have found a biergarten and pub crawl we want to attend.  I want to see the glockenspiel and visit the Bavarian National Museum (Bayerisches Nationalmuseum).  We found a budget hotel and booked a room; I don’t think we are quite ready to try the hostel thing just yet, even though they were considerably cheaper.  I swear I am dreaming all this!  I cannot believe I am going to Munich in two days!!!!RSCN1271
The house is huge and empty.  It will be SO nice when our HHG shipment arrives!  I really want this place to feel like someone lives here.  I have been perusing the German IKEA web sight with surprising ease and have found that there is one in Munich, but we are going to wait until Cody has his license and rent a small van to buy our couch.  I’m still super stoked about it though!  I’ve been wanting an EKTORP sofa for far too long!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you made it! Once your shipment arrives I know you will make your place warm and inviting. Miss you guys!
    Ps youre going to have to ship me some of that wine.

    ReplyDelete