Monday, November 12, 2012

It is what you make it

This ancient army wife motto has been mine own motto all along (well, kinda)
After all this waiting and wondering over when I will leave, and worry about the dogs, packing, unpacking, packing again, and many, many heartfelt good byes, the day is finally here!
As I type I’m sitting in the Baltimore airport at terminal E, gate 4 as bored children of other military families have made fast friends and arranged a game of hide and seek.  Their laughter is nice to hear after the stressful delay in Atlanta.  It also reminds me of the future that Cody and I are so looking forward to.  You can argue that the military uproots kids from their friends just as they've become settled, but I see how quickly these children have befriended each other to make the best of a boring situation.  And I’ve certainly learned through this move and my short time as an Army wife that an Army life (or any life) is what you make of it. A good lesson to teach children that is not always easily learned or understood.

I’m on the verge of the biggest change of my life in this moment as I sit waiting to board the plane that will take me across an entire ocean to my husband.  I can’t say that I am prepared.  I don’t think I could be completely prepared for this, but I’m excited for it, and I’m ready to make it amazing.  I’m ready for the huge change that is about to happen, in not just location, but as a family.  I’m ready to grow and learn and see Germany and Europe.  I’m ready to make it the best experience I can.

See, I really don’t believe happiness comes to you, via luck of the draw.  I don’t think it comes and goes of it’s own accord, and I CERTIANLY don’t think it comes from other people alone, or from anything out side of yourself.  Once, at work in the dental lab, a co-worker asked me with annoyance in his voice, why I was so damn happy all the time.  I told him I chose to be happy.  He scoffed and went off mumbling under his breath.

Choosing to be happy is how I stay happy.  It consumes so much more energy to walk around being miserable, complaining about everything, and voicing those thoughts to everyone I encounter.  It is SO MUCH EAISER to just smile at people, and say “I’m well, thank you” when asked how my day is.  Yes, I may have woken up late, burned my toast, and spilled coffee on myself, but why would I want to remind myself of that all day long by complaining about it over and over?  I’d rather move on, be “well”, and regale people with the funny story of HOW I spilled coffee on my self once I’ve moved on.

I have no expectations that this is going to be easy, or that I won’t miss the people I love, or that starting a family abroad will be hassle-free.  What I do know is that I will continue to choose happiness.  To appreciate what is good about each day and not focus on what went wrong.  I fully intend to make it as amazing as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment