Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tick tock, tick tock.

Where did all the time go?
Time is truly fleeting.  All the while I’ve know I was going to Germany, I’ve kept telling my self “there is plenty of time to do that” and yet here I am, two weeks out with… well, two weeks.
Tonight I went to dinner with a family dear to my heart; the family I used to nanny for, and we kept asking each other “why didn’t we do this more often?”  Why didn’t we?  Looking back there seemed to be so much time but in the moment there is NEVER enough time.  With all the hustle and bustle of all our individual lives, it is hard to find time to gather when everyone is able to.  But boy is it worth it when you do.

I loved seeing how much the children have grown and changed.  The oldest has shot up like a weed and has always been funny!  He used to crack me up with his spot on Stewart imitation (from MAD TV)  But listening to him tell stories tonight with bits of humor injected at just the right moments shows just how much he’s gown up.  His humor is transforming into charm and charisma.  Their middle child is just as active and full of energy, silly, and sweet as I remember. All night he reminded me about things we used to do that I had nearly forgotten.  He is still in admiration of his older brother but is leaving behind that copy-cat kid stage in favor of becoming himself.  The “baby” has grown into a fashionista;  as girly as girly can be! She hugged me twice, which according to her parents is a rarity.  She is entirely confidant, smart and sassy.

There wasn’t enough time in this evening to say the least.  We said good bye, lingered in the parking lot, talked some more, and said good bye again.  It’s no easy feat to hire a stranger to come into your home and take care of your children, but I’m so grateful they did.  We’ve cultivated a good relationship from it and I will never forget this family.  Hopefully the visits to Germany will come to pass, but If they don’t, I know this is not the end.

So in these last two weeks, I plan to make the time to see the people I need to see.  Even if I have to stay up late, wake up early, or not sleep at all, that’s a small price to pay for lasting memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment