Saturday, October 27, 2012

All Hollow's Birthday

A random musing to fill some time

So, I pretty much have the most AWESOME birthday ever! Halloween! But since Halloween is on a Wednesday this year and I’ve been in PCS move stress overload, I didn’t want to plan anything. I always thought I would plan something outrageously fun for my 30th birthday because, I mean come on… I’m turning 30! That’s like a milestone of sorts. It’s the age that people actually BELIEVE that you’re an adult, unlike your 20’s where your in that strange limbo between teenager and full fledged adult.

Yet I don’t actually feel grown up.  A lot of the things I thought I would have accomplished by the time I turned 30 have either not happened, or I stopped wanting them to happen.  Not that I’m complaining, I love where my life has led me thus far.  It’s had some serious up’s and downs but through it all, the biggest thing that I want in life, and have always wanted, is children.  I really thought I would have had children by the time I was 30.  Heck!  I wanted to be done popping them out at 25!  But thank goodness I waited.  With everything that we’ve been through lord knows it would have been a struggle had I done it any sooner.

Who’s to say when the right time to have children is anyway?  Some people say wait and plan and prepare; kids are expensive.  Others say don’t worry about planning it will happen when it’s supposed to.  All I know is it’s never felt more right than now.  My husband and I are at a point where we BOTH want a baby. As opposed to me having such terrible baby fever that I read “What to Expect when your Expecting” as if it were a novel.  (yes, this really happened, probably about this time last year)  So I guess we’ve done a bit of both; we planned to wait until we could actually provide for a child and give us time to enjoy our marriage, but we’ve also decided that trying is half the fun and we don’t want to dive right into ovulation charting as soon as I get to Germany.  We are ready for it to happen and hopefully it does.

And what if it doesn't?  Well I suppose I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it because right now I don’t have a kid, and I’m all dressed up for Halloween and ready to start celebrating my 30th birthday all weekend. “Cause once I have kids, it pretty safe to assume Halloween won’t be about me anymore, and I’m cool with that; it’s been a good 30 year run.

No comments:

Post a Comment