Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Year in Germany

well a little OVER a year… ‘cause I’m always late

I’ve made my second turkey for my second Thanksgiving in Germany, which means I’ve been here just over a year and my, how time flies!
Even though I’ve been here a year, Germany still feels new and magical, but it no longer feels like a vacation.  But that’s a good thing… especially for my waist line!  I’ve learned how to make käse spätzle (my favorite German dish), and I’ve also learned how to eat it in moderation! 
I was talking with a friend the other day about how often you move in the army, and it takes about a year to settle in, make friends, and get comfortable.  Then your second year, you know what your doing, you know how to get around, the good places to shop (or where not to), and how to best spend your time.  Your third year you spend preparing for your next duty station; saving for the inevitable surprise costs that pop up and researching the new area you’ll be moving to.
So here I am, fresh in my second year.  The good year I suppose, and already I’m mapping out plans for Cody and I upon his return.  That’s the most exciting part of this second year; that we don’t have to spend half of it apart!  I’m so happy that their mission went smoothly and ended ahead of schedule. 
In our year here we’ve met some amazing people who have turned into awesome friends.  People like that really help ease the pain of being so far away from our loved ones.  And not just the blues you get at the holidays when you miss family and friends, but the everyday things both big and small.  I won’t get to hold my new niece until she is 7 months old.  I miss our friends nights just playing games at each other’s homes.  Now they are growing into little families and I can only watch from afar.  Even though I’ve been away from her for over 12 years, I still miss my Mom.  And despite the fact that I keep putting more and more miles between us, I’m often thinking of my oldest friend, and how I wish I could be there for her. 
As we go into this holiday season, I’m so thankful for my wonderful friendships that endure through time, despite distances.  I’m grateful for our families who love and support us.  I’m thankful that we’ve made friends here to live, travel, and just keep good company with (and I have no doubt they will turn into lasting friendships also!)
Now that I’m done being sappy *sniff* here’s a picture of the turkey I made this year to celebrate with my sweet single soldier friends (who are pictured here also)!
Thanksgiving2

Tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment